Identity Bias in ML Algorithms
Michelle Davies & Shivali Halabe, ENGRC 3340, Fall 2020
Topic: What role do identity dynamics play in creating conditions for bias in learning algorithms? | Website: https://sites.google.com/view/identity-bias-in-ml-algos/home
We made a written publication that explores how identity dynamics foster bias in learning algorithms. Within this topic, we answered the following questions:
1. What makes a learning algorithm biased (datasets, assumptions, etc.)?
2. How do identity dynamics play a role in shaping these biases?
3. How is this narrative being reinforced by learning algorithms?
4. Based on the answer to the previous question, what are ways to avoid such biases?
5. What should we be teaching future algorithm developers and machine learning engineers to avoid discriminatory learning algorithms in the future?
Related Blog Posts
Fighting feelings of mediocrity as this strange semester comes to an end...
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Throughout this entire semester, I've been learning to fight the feeling that everyone else is doing something better and that I'm not...